The Lichen planus treatment helps in dealing with the rash appearance until the rash goes away. Itchy skin rash caused by lichen planus might affect different parts of the body like mouth, nails, genitals and hair. Most of the times, it has been observed that the condition goes away within six to eighteen months. There is no permanent cure available for lichen planus but there are quite a few treatments and medications available to deal with the disease in a better way.
Corticosteroid Ointments and Creams
Ointments and creams containing corticosteroid are generally used for the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions. The redness and swelling caused by lichen planus are treated with topical corticosteroids. The ointments and creams are generally applied on the purple or red itchy spots but care should be taken to stop their application if the colour changes to grey or brown. After settling of the inflammation, the pigment change happens and application of corticosteroid cream makes the skin thin. However, the lichen planus treatment with corticosteroid creams often cause side-effects and care should be taken to use correct dosage.
When lichen planus has reaches a severe stage, corticosteroid tablets are often used for controlling the symptoms. Pills like prednisone have proved quite effective when the patient has painful sores and many bumps. If it is case of lichen planus on the mouth then treatments are usually not required if the symptoms are mild. But, when the symptoms get severe, the treatment includes:
- Mouthwash containing anaesthetic which helps to numb the mouth temporarily and makes eating easier.
- The lichen planus treatment for mouth also includes pastes, corticosteroid sprays and dissolvable lozenges.
- Corticosteroid tablets are sometimes used for a brief period of time when oral lichen planus has reached a severe stage.
- Gel or mouthwash containing antiseptic which helps in the prevention of plaque build-up in the mouth.
Home Remedies for Lichen Planus
There are also some home remedies for the condition that are discussed below.
- The bath tub should be filled with lukewarm water and colloidal oatmeal can be added as per the directions available with it. Soaking the body in this solution provides relief from itchy rashes and used for treating other skin conditions like chicken pox, eczema and poison ivy. Colloidal oatmeal is available at nearly every supermarket or drug store.
- Cool compresses are another way of treating lichen planus at home. Uncomfortable itching sensations are soothed to a great extent through this procedure. The washcloths can be soaked in cold water and applied to affected areas. One can even add some moisturizing cream or lotion to affected areas after the cool compress is over. It is always advisable to avoid bubble or soap bath.
No lichen planus treatment offers a quick cure for the disease, however, in most of the cases it has been observed that the disease generally clears with time.
Lichen planus treatment can be handled by a certified medical professional or someone with good knowledge of home remedies, depending on the severity of the infection.